main_verify" content="0fbe816ac62d0f3540f77744d40f34f2"/> Reason And Faith Together: Does religion have value?

Friday, December 26, 2014

Does religion have value?

 The following is a response to someone who challenged why I think religion has value.  The individual chose to challenge me because I asked the question.  Why do people choose religion or science instead of recognizing that both are tools that have different uses?
The individuals position was that they could see no value in the tool of religion and challenged me to share with them why this tool has value.

My response was this:

What I get as value is an understanding of my fellow man. I learn other peoples perspective. I can learn why other people believe, or behave a certain way.

What is more, though it cannot be empirically proven, I have the possibility of finding something that makes sense and gives purpose.

Now this goes far beyond religion. Let me say that if it is the case that there is a God, and he does want relationship with His creation, it does not matter what religion an individual is, all that matters is how the creator revealed. Thus religion becomes mans individual attempt at explaining his belief system which may or may not include a god. Those who think it does not include a god still reach to something outside themselves as the "why" behind their beliefs and therefore still have belief in a supreme something they prefer to not call god, but is god none the less.

So, religion has taught me that I can logically grapple with metaphysical concepts of love and hate, good and evil. These things actually make sense and do not have to be subjected to individual interpretation and meanings. They are objective truth if their is a God.

I can call pedophilia wrong absolutely and not question whether it really is wrong or just that most people do not prefer to be pedophiles. The list can go on and on and on and on and on.

The reality is that without religion, or the understanding that we all have to address these issues, which makes us religious, i would never know these things are wrong. But you may argue that I can look to myself and see that they are wrong. Yes and no... what of the pedophile who looks to himself and thinks it is okay? This term wrong becomes a subjective meaningless term that is dependent upon an individuals preference instead of absolute truth.

As all have an opinion concerning the things like pedophilia, all are religious. But not all religions are equally true, nor are all people as capable of understanding the truth; just as not all people are as well equipped at being critical thinkers.

So to help you understand why I think religion is helpful, I believe it is mans attempt at finding a truth that is superior and outside of mans personal beliefs, whims and wants.  This I believe is true, healthy religion.  This leaves open the possibility for the creator to reveal.

An honest search for truth has to be religious. If it were not we would not be asking enough of the right questions concerning the meaning to life and good or evil, and rightness or wrongness etc... etc... etc...

Science cannot give us these answers unless, of course, we decide to make science a religion.

No comments:

Post a Comment